Thursday, March 11, 2010

Three Days to Seventy


I have always believed that we need to be involved in the process of choosing our leaders and voicing our opinions about how we are governed. We are so blessed to have the privilege of doing that, unlike so many others in this world. I was fortunate to grow up in an era when civil discourse and exchange of ideas was the norm. Here are some of my experiences around politics and involvement in the process.


In the 40s-My father's father , a Polish immigrant, had a picture of Woodrow Wilson over his piano - I have not idea why. I stayed up all night listening to my parents listening to the results of the Truman vs. Dewey presidential race.

In the 50s- I was so un-political that the only elections that meant anything to me were the ones for Student Council, Homecoming Queen and Class President. I was annoyed that we couldn't use the gym on election day because it was a polling place.


In the 60s I voted for the first time, for JFK and cried when he was killed. I worked as a judge of election for the first time in Chatham, New Jersey as my mother had for many years. I got involved as an opponent of the Vietnam War and a supporter of the civil rights movement. I was unaware of the great civil rights challenges - as I lived in a community with no minorities and didn't see what was happening elsewhere. If I had lived in Chicago, I would have been marching with my kids in tow.


In the 70s I joined the small band of Democrats in Chatham and attended meetings. I was asked to run for Borough Council and lost. I was able to increase Democratic participation in the voting process. I also had the privilege of meeting our governor, our local State Senators and Hubert Humphrey, who endorsed my candidacy. In this decade I also met Mayor Daley the first and had some pictures with him and our kids - shortly after we moved to River Forest.


In the 80s I voted for my husband for Village Trustee, knocked on doors for many of the candidates in the 31st. Ward ( near my office) and:

  • Voted for a Republican President for the first time
  • Met young Richard Daley -then State's Attorney - he nevcr looked me in the eye
  • Shared a podium with Jane Byrne ("short, blond women will rule the world," ) I said in my speech
  • Judged a break dance contest with Harold Washington on a flat bed truck at the corner of North and Springfield - he was my favorite
  • Went to Harold's wake at City Hall
  • I met David Orr and have a picture - but not in the 8 days he was mayor
  • Co-hosted a meeting with Eugene Sawyer at the bank at a Chamber event
  • In the 90s -I signed up as an election judge in my building so I could meet people, became a precinct captain because the bank needed some signage permits and I could schmooze the Alderman. I also became certified to register voters, worked as a volunteer at the 1996 Democratic National Convention and experienced Clinton's speech live. By now Richard the second was mayor and appointed me to a city Loan Review Committee. Because of that, we were invited to all the Mayor's Christmas parties, receptions at City Hall - big program kickoffs, etc. He still never looked me in the eye. I also co-hosted an affordable mortgage program kickoff with then State Senator Miquel Del Valle, now City Clerk - who I think is the real deal.

In the 00s I continued to support candidates from my old days on the northwest side, gave money for the first time to a candidate running on a Republican ticket, our daughter - saw my alderman lose on dirty campaigning on their side and lethargy on our side, worked hard for Obama--had an invite to the acceptance speech gave it to my neighbor- I was working the polls. I started attending City Council meetings to get fodder for my writing. I also supported and worked for Toni Preckwinkle.


I recently resigned as Precinct Captain and have tuned out all political news.


I am hoping that the next generation brings us back to civil discussions over valid issues. The time has come. Come on kids, start working on it! Stay involved and exercise your right to vote. It is precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment