Monday, March 8, 2010

Five Days to Seventy

In 2000 we had been in our condo for eight years and were still waiting for the excitement of downtown living to wear off. Also in 2000 we were blessed with the arrival of Meaghan, followed in 2001 by Kevin. We'd have to wait until 2006 for Finnegan's grand entrance into our lives.

By now we both had yucky commutes. After 27 years of taking the train downtown, Joe now had to drive from downtown to Downers Grove. After years of a 15-20 minute drive to our North and Pulaski branch and my beautiful wood paneled office. I got "kicked upstairs" (actually I kicked myself upstairs)to a national position and had to fight the 18 wheelers on the Kennedy to Rosemont. Joe continued to drive, but I switched to public transportation and got rid of my car. It was not the end of my traveling for work, however. As the training manager for our retail branches, I was able to visit our bankers in California, Texas, New York and Florida - Joe retired in 2004 - so he traveled with me to play tourist while I worked. Our favorite was New York - we'd stay near Times Square and see at least one play every day. Being able to visit my aunts and uncles in New Jersey was an added bonus. My worst training travel memory was spending 2 weeks in the swamp named Orlando in the middle of summer - with training so intense we never got outside until it was practically dark and it was time for the daily rain shower. Joe was glad he missed that one.


We hadn't had a wedding in a while, so we needed an excuse to get together. We planned a family reunion in 2004 and decided to include the entire Crawford clan. So glad we did - as many who attended then - probably couldn't travel to do it now. We held the party in the same banquet room where several of our weddings had taken place and literally packed the place. Old neighbors of ours from River Forest came - as did neighbors from where Joe grew up -and some of kids friends. Needless to say, we had a good time. If there is a common thread in all of us it is our expertise in throwing a party.


In 2007 we attended the 50th reunion of my Chatham High School class. Most of us recognized each other and within hours, it was just like 1957 all over again. The obnoxious guy was still obnoxious, the "clique" was still in tact, and we all got along and shared a weekend full of stories and tributes to our departed classmates. I think the 50th reunions are good - because everyone is comfortable with who they are - most are retired - so there's little competition for the loftiest title and the biggest house. We are all so grateful for health and family. Pat Denver and Diane (Duchamp) Conlan and I were just like the kids we were when we met.


I always said I would retire when I stopped having fun at work. So in November, 2007 I tendered my resignation to take effect on my 68th birthday in March, 2008. I had a wonderful surprise retirement party - even Joe was in on it - that brought many of my old Pioneer friends together with my Banco Popular family. I cried for about 2 days and then realized the joy of doing what I want, when I want and how I want. My timing was perfect - it was shortly after that when the entire banking industry hit bottom. I always said I'd rather be lucky than smart.


Joe had already established a retirement routine so we weren't driving each other crazy as we would have if we both retired at the same time. We subscribe to the Lyric Opera, Shakespeare Theater and Goodman Theater. We both take classes at the Newberry Library - Joe takes more than I do. I attend City Council meetings to get fodder for my political stories and just wander around playing tourist. I'm still partly involved at the YMCA - mostly advisory. I'm working with the International Latino Cultural Center and hope to add a few more volunteer gigs to my life. We're now free to visit Tucson more often and Florida occasionally.

Now this 12 day blogfest has only 4 days left. I have no idea what I'll write tomorrow since today's post brings us up to date. I am not going to worry about it. Nothing in my life was planned in advance - I just let life happen and drag me along and I think it turned out OK. I'll have some more of that please.

No comments:

Post a Comment