Saturday, March 20, 2010

More Buried Treasure

I had some aging mushrooms that needed to be used soon. I was looking for a good appetizer with mushrooms and recalled a recipe given to me by a River Forest neighbor in the 1970s. I went to the bookcase cabinet where I keep the friends and family recipe scrapbooks - which I haven't looked at in years. After considerable browsing I found the recipe and decided to see if it was still a winner. I can't divulge who gave it to me as I won't use real people in this blog without their permission, and we've lost touch. For my kids, suffice it to say Bridget and Eddie and Cupcake Park. Here's the recipe:

Set: the oven at 375 degrees
Soften: 1 8 oz package of cream cheese with 2 tsp. milk
Beat:2 egg yolks and mix well with the cream cheese
Sprinkle: a shake or two of garlic powder and mix
Add:1 TBS minced scallions and 1/3 cup of finely chopped mushrooms
Toast: small rounds or triangles of bread of your choice - I do mine in the oven for 7 minutes and use multi-grain baguette rounds
Spread: The cheese mixture on the bread generously and bake in 375 degree oven for 5 minutes and broil on high for a few minutes until lightly browned and puffed up.
Serve immediately with something cold to drink and some red and green pepper strips as a contrast.
It will make 24 - 36 depending on the size of the bread.

This tasted as good tonight as it did all those many years ago.

As for the buried treasure. Also in that cabinet was bag, full of handwritten recipes of my mother's and mother-in-law's along with others from my daughters, sisters, nieces and friends. My mother lived through the depression and would never think of buying a recipe card - she used the backs of envelopes, scraps of paper and whatever. In this picture is an envelope from Jersey Central Power and a voting receipt. Also the badly stained recipe offered in this post and one from our neice Barbara with her grandmother Crawford's nut bread recipe. I feel a family cookbook coming on.


ZOOM IN TO SEE THE RECIPES.

No comments:

Post a Comment