Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Twelve Days of Seventy


If I wake up breathing, and in my famous words "If I don't get hit by a truck" for the next 12 days I will have reached the age of 70. Before this, my most traumatic decade turn was my 30th birthday when I thought for certain my life was coming to an end. I will never forget the day that they stopped carding me at the liquor store.

40 was a fun and raucous party with both my family and my friends. I had just started my banking career and I was full of energy and happy to be a contributor to our family income
.
I'm not sure I remember what we did for my 50th ,and we were all probably too busy to make much of it, but I remember being grateful to have lived a year longer than my dad had.

60 was a fun surprise with both my sisters and their husbands coming to Chicago for the weekend. We had a great time. It made me sorry that I hadn't bought any IRAs - ( I just never thought I'd live long enough to cash them in).

70 will be truly a gift and I hesitate to even write this,as I am so superstitious about jinxing my life that I won't even turn the calendar page over a day early.

So over the next 12 days I will attempt to encapsulate the moments of my life that I think defined this journey of mine. This way, if I don't make it to 70 my kids will still have a record of the 69 that came before.

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget "I'm up to my ass in alligators" which is another one of my fave LSC quotes :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete