Sunday, August 7, 2011

Everything But the Kitchen Sink - Is That Next?


I have always loved shopping at Walgreens.  Now that they've remodeled - I can almost wax poetic about the many ways I love them.

Here goes (without the poetry) and not in the order of importance:
  • They got rid of those god-awful self service kiosks and have a full line of real people to ring up purchases.  Good for me and good for employment of others.
  • Their security is good.  A big brawny guy followed me around as I took pictures - so I refrained from taking his.
  • They now have a place to sit and privately ask a pharmacist questions that you may not want the whole world to hear. I also love their wide network.  I can travel most places in the U.S. and don't have to obsess about my prescriptions.
  • I am more than impressed with the fresh food offerings and the way they're positioned - when impulse buying choices include fresh fruit, vegetables and sushi we all win.  I bought an avocado there and it was perfect.
  • I have been looking all over for the kind of thin sliced bread that I use for appetizers - guess where I finally found it?
  • The Photo Center is slick and efficient and somewhat private so that when a non-techie like me screws up not a lot of people will witness it.
  • They have truly created a one stop shopping center for us at fair prices and most of us are in walking distance to a Walgreens.
  • Unfortunately they have turned me into an addict.  If you have not tasted their ice cream - run out and get some now.  I did an ingredients check and compared it to a high priced famous label brand and found that there are actually more chemicals, fat and other bad stuff in the famous brand.  I am truly addicted - waffle cone and caramel overload are my favorites - but there are plenty of others to tempt you.  Run.. don't walk...to your local Walgreens and see if you don't agree with me.

Look out Best Buy and Target - here comes Walgreens.

2 comments:

  1. Between Walgreens and Aldi I save a bundle...plus next to an Ace Hardware (not behemoths like Home Depot or Menards) it's great to just browse the aisles. Some folks would never shop at Aldi's, but I've seen several delivery trucks unloaded. The chicken came packed in boxes marked Tyson...the hot dogs I bought were imprinted "for Parkview Packing by Vienna" with a similar red and yellow label....and the pudding cups came in a Swiss Miss truck.

    I suspect when the chicken breasts are sold in Tyson packaging they all sized equally. I'm reminded of Sears' Kenmore appliances. Their stoves were made by Roper--Roper advertised and spent money on engineering technology; Sears marked a scaled back version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you bought stock, it is soaring. Though it make me nervous that they're rapid expansion will send the way of Borders. I do agree, they are doing it right, love the fresh food they offer and the customer service at our new Walgreens is great. Oh and I love that I can print photos form my home computer to my Walgreens in under an hour.

    ReplyDelete