Thursday, August 11, 2011

Hair Raising Stories - the Long and Short of It

A young woman flipping her long curly red hair over the back of her chair onto our laps last night at Millennium Park got me to thinking about some good and bad moments with hair.

  • I was born with almost none and it won't grow any longer than my collar - so maybe I'm just jealous of those long tressed dollies who flip their excess in my face on the El or last night's concert culprit.
  • I used to think it was a curse having 5 girls' hair to wash, detangle, brush and pull into pony tails, braids, or what not - now I realize it was a blessing.
  • I was glad my oldest kept her  hair long for a long time - made up for my failure to grow mine.
  • I cried when I entrusted a friend with the task of getting my youngest's hair cut and she totally transformed her - and not in a good way.
  • Did anyone  else sleep with their hair rolled up in "rags" back in the 50s - oh those banana curls.
  • Two of my aunts had their hair styled like Veronica Lake.  Woo Hoo!
  • We spent a lot of time in grammar school trying to find out what the nuns had under their wimples.
  • My aunts let me shave my legs when we were at the Jersey Shore because my mother threatened me with dense, black hairy legs if I started shaving.
  • Which is worse?   Getting chewing gum in your hair or having to cut your hopelessly tangled hair out of a hot curling brush?
  • My first week at college a dorm-mate talked me into letting her dye my blond hair black. Not only did I look ridiculous but in the process of trying to undo it my hair turned green.  Just in time for Freshman Week.  What an impression I must have made.
  • Our son shaved off his hair in preparation for being a Rock Star.
  • He had years before climbed into his little sister's crib and given her a butch a few days before Christmas.
  • I haven't changed my hair style since 8th  grade. I have  friends who change theirs every week.
  • My husband gets compliments on his hair from strangers.
  • Do they sell bobby pins any more?
  • My writing coach, an author, is the only woman of a certain age who can get away with long greyish hair.  All others need to get a haircut.
  • Here is a great example of 70s hairstyles or was it 80s?

    See, young lady at the Grant Park Music Festival,  what a litany you started?  Stop  flipping your hair at others.  My kids will find you and beat you up.

    2 comments:

    1. I empathize as my hair too, does not, will not grow past my collar. I came into this world sans "locks" and my sister used to pull out the family album - point to my pix and say "isn't that an ugly little boy?" to which I would enthusiastically agree only to be told it was me.

      I remember rag curlers. Worse, going to bed in brush rollers every night a good portion of my life. My latter-day savior is the hair dryer. Every day I shampoo and set my hair on Velcro rollers. I don't have natural curls or a thick mop or hair long enough for a pony tail. Same hairdo since 8th grade? Varied only by the era: straight, curled, teased or flat, blunt cut or layered.

      Worse than chewing gum or tangles in a hot curling brush? Branding your scalp with a curling iron or the smell of one's own hair burning. And yes they still make bobby pins. I have a friend with very long and intensely curly hair who manages to lose them all over the place. A very nice, person however-despite the hair she was blessed with.

      As far as the dollie with the long red tresses? Two to one they're extensions. What God has not given us, can be acquired elsewhere for a cost. Chris Rock has a movie out "Good Hair" which is about Black hair. BUT, White or Black, nothing is as it looks or is what we're born with now.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
      liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
      reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
      became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
      ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
      treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
      the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
      treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

      ReplyDelete