Monday, July 18, 2011

Off the Beaten Path -Let's Keep it That Way

Joe's old high school buddy, and my Tucson pool buddy were in town this weekend.  We all ran each other ragged from Wrigley Field to Navy Pier and most spots in-between.  We didn't waste their time on an actual Cubs game - we high tailed it to Bernie's for the post game madness.  I'll save that adventure for another time. All I can say is: " Thank you, CTA for those marvelous 3 day passes. "  Public transportation rocks. $10. beer at Millennium Park does not.

Having Joe's buddy here reminded me of a road trip we took with him in Arizona this Spring. What a contrast to the trip we took him on this weekend.  On our way home from Bisbee, Arizona
http://lynncrawfordsays.blogspot.com/2011/06/ever-wonder-where-that-copper-comes.html
he took us to a bar in Benson, AZ. - population about 4,000- and so off the beaten path that you have to know about it to get there - I'm not sharing how to get there (even if I could remember) as I don't want to encourage would- be tourists.  It would wreck the ambiance at this joint.  It's called the Arena Bar - so named as it is adjacent to the arena where the Benson rodeo is held and its liquor license allows the consumption of alcohol anywhere on the 9.7 acre property which includes the bar and party room and bleachers around the arena - fully equipped for roping, riding and tying.

No $10. beers here.  $2.50 looked like the highest price.  I didn't ask for a Cosmo - and even if they might have known how to make one, I doubt it would have cost $14.  Lots of local characters and the house dog - even though the sign on the door clearly  states "No dogs allowed".  Everybody in what looked like a work hard/play hard crowd was friendly, even though it  was obvious that we (especially me with my camera) were outsiders.  One of the old timers named John asked me to take his picture -which I did.  He gave me his address so I could mail it to him-which I did. Haven't heard back, but it didn't come back in the mail - so I assumed he got it.

 The place probably looks the way it did back in the 60s - very old and a bit weary, a place where everybody knows everybody and is probably the best action in town.  I want to go back someday and see if Cowboy John is still hanging out and if the dog is still roaming from customer to customer for a pat on the head.  Somehow I think they will be.   I hope tourists won't.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a great place for some cold ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds priceless.....I've long felt that Chicago was at its best in the 60s & 70s--people or population wise. I empathize with your plight every time I see all the people cluttering up your beach on the news. I remember being able to take the kids down...and there not being a mob to contend with. How you must long for Labor Day. I hope the warm weather lasts for you despite the fact I'm not keen on it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete