Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Wikopedia tells me that these are the words of Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás a  Spanish philosopher and essayist. Wikopedia calls him George Santayana, but I like the way his whole name looks, sounds and feels on my tongue.

Well, keep his words top of mind as you observe what's going on around us.

  • We just elected a new bunch of knuckleheads to replace the old knuckleheads
  • Young people are smoking at a higher and heavier rate - look out for your arteries, kids (I know)
  • The words "5 year A.R.M , We'll help you Qualify" are popping up occasionally in newspaper ads
  • Another set of swear words: "Unlock the Equity in your Home" is creeping into the on line ads
  • Today's prejudices make those of the 60s look mild
  • The school day is getting shorter
  • The average parking garage has more SUVs than fuel efficient cars
  • American Girl "cult" is like Barbie Doll craze, only 100 times more expensive and addictive
Okay.  I'm not going to bore you with a longer list.  I'm sure you have your own.  I am eternally grateful that the festering, uninspiring, half true campaign ads are over.  I now don't even care who won or who wins.  I win because the ads for phony lawyers and sex enhancing drugs are back.  I love to listen to the list of side effects.  Yes I will definitely call my doctor if the election lasts more than 4 hours.  (Did I say election?)

I can usually come up with a couple of good posts when I'm annoyed or ticked off.  I lose all writing ability when I am bent over throwing up from disgust with what is going on. So- I'm taking a long weekend in the Florida sun to get over it.

I know, I know - sun is BAD for my skin.  See - I am one of those not remembering the past.  Guess I'm condemned.  Sailport here I come.  No computer - only SUN, CHLORINE, SAND  and my sister and a good friend.  See you next week.  I've earned all these wrinkles and at least I'm not lying about them - nor am I expecting the tax payers to pay for them.



And now every time I go on the Internet I am treated to this socially destructive suggestion.

www.payloansdaynow.adores.it Get Approved in 1 hour Fast Loans Up to $1500

1 comment: