Friday, October 28, 2011

Chicago Dummies and Mannequins

The transportation board of the City of Chicago recently installed mannequins on Wacker Drive along the river.  They represent the 32 pedestrians killed last year in Chicago.  According to an article in the Chicago Tribune:

 The move to shock drivers into being on the lookout and yielding to pedestrians is part of a new large-scale safety effort aimed at reducing injuries and fatalities citywide, officials said.

 I agree that this a noble undertaking.  I disagree with the onsidedness of the campaign.  After photographing the dead pedestrian mannequins at Wacker and Chicago, I headed up the Mag Mile to Pearson and Michigan, where the old pumping station meets the Water Tower Place mall.  I walk this route many times a week and am always amazed at the stupidity of those who look like perfectly normal, full grown adults.
This scene - please note the red light and the flashing do not walk symbol- was repeated through 6 light changes.  Coming at these pedestrians from the left were cars trying to turn left off of Michigan Avenue onto Pearson.  I was astonished at the diversity of the jaywalkers, old, young, tourists, locals, disabled, those texting and those talking on cell phones.  The worst of the bunch are the parents of young children and babies, who not only endanger their offspring, but also set  bad examples for obeying the rules.  I scratch my head in wonder.

So go ahead and shock the drivers into paying attention.  But who is going to shock the pedestrians?
Maybe the Mayor will deputize me and some of my law abiding friends to hand out tickets involving fines.  We could make a good dent in the budget shortfall by enforcing the jaywalking ordinance. We might even be able to save a lives. I know of at least 2 fatalities that took place at this corner.

4 comments:

  1. hi lynn - thanks for stopping by my blog! i agree with enforcing jaywalking, that would be an easy way to make some quick cash for the city. it's all groupthink...as soon as one person goes, then another few people think "oh i can make it" and then pretty soon it's a mob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently live in Dallas, but I love Chicago and when I visited spent the days walking the streets sightseeing. I can say that I was AMAZED at the number of people doing this very same thing! I think you are right about the fact that we're hearing only one side, and that is all too often the case. We cannot get in the habit of blaming the victim, but we've also got to think about the circumstance that causes a horrible outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete