Thursday, September 2, 2010

September Song

I was going to submit a photo to the Red Eye's photo contest - this week entitled "September".  I grabbed my camera and went out on a quest for a winning photo.  I soon realized that September cannot be captured in one photo.  Over my lifetime, it has meant many things.  This September it brought me a reason to evaluate.

Yesterday I received a phone call informing me that one of my favorite sisters-in-law, Joe's sister, Jeanne ,had slipped away into the hereafter in her early morning sleep - a release  from her suffering and frustration.  In her nearly 85 years she had lived an extraordinary life, leaving home in her teens during the depression, making a mark on the foreign service, becoming a world traveler and the single mother of  a bright and accomplished child.   I also received an e-mail informing me of a work colleague who had given birth to a healthy baby boy - releasing him into the world to make a name for himself in the future as Jeanne had in her life.  I wish him 80 plus years to follow in his parents' footsteps and become an extraordinary person. The cycle of life is still working.

September also is significant for many other reasons:
  • The kids go back to school - I always remember my own kids and how excited they were and how sad I was,  (Mainly because I regularly forgot their physicals and uniform orders).  I was also happy that I had some time to myself when they were at school  (true confession). Now I lament how busy my grandchildren are - good for them - bad for me.




  •  The beach becomes my own - not many sun-bathers but lots of seagulls who want a piece of my lunch.
  • Stockpiling from the farmers' markets is a good idea - especially green tomatoes that could be coaxed into red ones lasting until November wrapped in newspaper.  We have now gone from spinach and cukes to squash and apples.
  • Open registration at the Chicago Park District - reminding me to get my body back on the treadmill.

  • The coleus and impatiens are all overflowing their planters, warning of the frost to come.
  • I love the sunrises, hate that it is getting dark too early.
  • This is the start of the year for me.  I am grateful to be waking up, breathing ,to enjoy it.  Will enjoy a weekend party with some of my kids.  Know the rest of them are experiencing "beginning of year is in September" as their kids move up the education chain.
  • Dreading that we will have to endure campaign " garbage" from now until November. 
  • Maybe we need a Royal Family and no elections!
Happy fall.   Welcome Elias and Godspeed, Jeanne.  Another year begins. September is not so bad.


No comments:

Post a Comment