Sunday, September 19, 2010

Good Book - Don't Forget to Check it Out.

Some family members and many of our friends are dealing with loved ones suffering from various forms of dementia.  At my age, I and many of my friends deal with forgetfulness on a daily basis.   I am constantly searching for keys, glasses and other objects and they're usually right where they belong.  Now that I'm retired, I often find myself having to look at the newspaper to be sure I've got the right day and date.  I spent Friday of this  week thinking it was Saturday and all day yesterday I was sure it was Sunday. Now I feel like today, Sunday, is a bonus.  And so it goes for us aging members of society.  Thank heavens for my calendar to remind me of important events - and hopefully I'll continue to remember to look at it every morning - so I'll know where I'm supposed to be. 

I recently read a very good book, Still Alice, by Lisa Genova.  It's fiction, but written by an expert in the field of dementia and Alzheimer's.  Written in the voice of the person who is afflicted with Early Onset Alzheimer's it makes a compelling read.  I struggled through the first dozen or so pages - as too obvious - but soon after, I could not put it down.  I highly recommend it as an addition to your reading list. 



As a footnote, the friend who recommended this book to me, forgot she recommended it.  I in turn, forgot to check it out of the library until I ran across my notes from Tucson in my calendar.

No comments:

Post a Comment