Tuesday, August 10, 2010

There's More to the Newberry Than the Book Fair

To family historians, the Newberry Library is a gem of genealogy research.  To world explorers it is a treasure trove of maps, half a million to be precise. To plain lovers of books and history the 123 year old Newberry is a repository for 1.5 million books and 5 million pages of manuscripts dating from the middle ages up to modern times.

For me, it is a place of many delights - a place to party - I've been to weddings and fundraisers there.  A place to hide I've spent many an hour just browsing and learning.  But most importantly it's a place to exercise - my mind, that is.

Shortly before I retired, I decided to follow my husband's lead and start preparing for the after- career phase of my life.  I have loved to write since I was a child and the Newberry Library Seminars Program offered several classes that fit my schedule.  I have now taken these classes almost every Fall and Spring ever since.  This Summer, I even gave up some beach Saturdays for one.

Carol LaChapelle at BugHouse Square
What got me hooked was the first Carol LaChapelle class I took The Mind at Work:Writing the Personal  Essay. Carol is a teacher, writer, writing coach and author of Finding Your Voice, Telling Your Stories.   As a bonus, she is a fun person who loves sharing her gift with others.  She is, without a doubt, the reason I am as far along on my beach stories as I am.  She's also one of those who encouraged me to start this blog. Even thought I've participated in all the workshops she offers through the Newberry, I still continue to sign up a few times a year.  I call it a "jump start" that we all  need, no matter what field we pursue.  I may never be a published writer, as she is, but I'm enjoying writing and at this stage of my life that's what it's all about.
http://carollachapelle.blogspot.com/

There are other fine offerings in the Newberry Library Seminars Program and fall classes, which start in September are open for registration now. http://www.newberry.org/.  If you've got the writing bug, I highly recommend you start with one of Carol's workshops. 

Main Debate- Gun Control
The day of our last class this summer happened to be the day of the BugHouse Square Debates, presented by the Newberry in Washington Park, across from the front steps of the library.  The debates are held annually to celebrate the First Amendment and to commemorate  and revive the very spirited, spontaneous debates that prevailed at that location from the 1910s until the 1960s.  Orators from every walk of life, political persuasion and social point of view engaged in heated exchanges espousing their causes.  Heckling was encouraged then as it is now.  It's a fun way to spend a Saturday after you have filled your shopping bags with books from the Newberry Library Book Fair. 

This year's main debate topic was Gun Control in the City. The debaters were sincere,  made many great points and elicited some excitement from the crowd.  Still,  I long for the bombastic orators of yesteryear, there must be some still out there.  Or maybe we can just re-enact some of our family dinner conversations from the past.  In any event, it's great to celebrate freedom of speech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment