Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Brawl on the Beach

I went to the beach today.  I sat myself, my chair and my belongings ( wallet, water bottle, phone, keys and towel) in the sand facing the beach restaurant.  Not because I wanted to face the place, but because that was where the sun was.  I left my stuff and went for my usual walk - from Oak Street to Division Street.  I do it for exercise and also to seek out old beach friends.  On my way I met Jose, who was selling ice cream goodies from his hand propelled truck down the lakefront.  The  kids were so excited to have him and his offerings from $1.00 and up.  It was a really hot day.

I got back to my spot on the beach - popular news about crime in Chicago not withstanding, all my possesions ( who needs them?) were still in place and I continued to enjoy my day.  This is when  the fiscal conservative and the social liberal in my life  came to blows. It was a real beach brawl in my head.
 
Jose and his truck had reached the southern end of the beach, where I reside, and was handing Popsicles to my beach neighbors for their $3.00 when two thugs from the beach restaurant ran down and grabbed Jose's cart.  Saying " We're going to dump   your f---in wagon  in the f---in' lake" and get your ass out of here - sorry kids- you'll have to excuse us ..................

Okay - so the restaurant owner  pays thousands of $$ for the permit from his friend the Alderman and the Ice
Cream vendor only pays about $50. for a street peddlers license.  Why couldn't the guy who is going to make millions this weekend at the Air and Water show let the hard working ice cream vendor make a few honest bucks for his family?  And why the angry rhetoric?

Why am I thinking of not buying the $12.00 glass of wine at the restaurant and seriously considering  trying a $1.50 snow cone?

No comments:

Post a Comment