Sunday, July 25, 2010

Survivor: Sid the Streeterville Spider

Every year the lake sends airmail delivery of black spiders - some of which find their way onto the outside of our floor to ceiling windows, where they create beautifuly intricate gossamer webs.  We love to watch their progress and observe their hunting and survival tactics.  We are saddened when they sometimes blow away.
I've named our latest one Sid - no particular reason for that name - and I'm not even sure its a boy - it might be Syd.

Friday night we had a storm which one of my writing classmates described as biblical in its ferocity.  High winds, heavy rain and an eletrical show to rival any man-made fireworks. Towns, highways and subway tunnels flooded.  Homes and businesses were without power and, again, trees were down.  Many people were late to our class on Saturday morning.  I got there early in an effort to avoid the rain that was once again threatening with "Puff the Magic Dragon" shaped clouds outside my window.
 Upon returning home later that afternoon, not only was I greeted by a remarkably rosy dusk, but also happily, by a lively and  happy Sid.
MOTHER NATURE IS TRULY AMAZING.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm...I can't stand to get rid of the beautiful webs that get built on my windows daily....they are truly works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picture of the spider, what a beautiful sky. We were on the other side of the lake on the beach. I kept pointing out changes in the sky to everyone. Here is a pic of the storm coming our way http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaxhouse/4831027768/.

    ReplyDelete