Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Scary Monster in the House

What is the super monster that weighs 17  pounds, stands  only a foot tall and is scaring me to death?  If you guessed a half-elf or a vampire you'd be wrong.  Try again.  Give up? It is the pile of magazines waiting for me  after 6 weeks away and no suspension of delivery.  If it was the middle of winter I'd have less of a problem, but every day that I spend outdoors enjoying summer puts me one more day behind the 8 ball- or should I say print wall.  I think I need to  re-evaluate my need for  these publications and  do something about it. I'll take them alphabetically:

BON APPETIT:  I started getting this in December, 2009 as a consolation prize from Conde Nast after they shut down Gourmet.  I have been getting it ever since and have never paid for it.
What I like about it:  The photos and some of the fast easy recipes and the Feedback page at the end. I still miss Gourmet.
Why I probably don't need it:  I have 153 cookbooks in my collection, (left) not to mention the 5 albums filled with recipes from friends  and family or clipped from various publications.In spite of this I somehow always go back to preparing the same 10 dishes over and over.


CHICAGO MAGAZINE:  I think this gets renewed by osmosis.. I don't recall ever making a conscious decision one way or the other.
What I like about it:  The real estate stuff and occasionally a profile of an interesting Chicagoan.
Why I probably don't need it:  I have enough foodies in my circle of friends and family, that they give the scoop on the hot spots before they get reviewed by Chicago - and since we eat out so seldom, who  really cares.  I can get other events on line and pick and choose.  Nobody can change my mind about the best pizza and burgers in Chicago no matter how many issues they devote to it. I think it's time to cancel this one.

COOK'S COUNTRY:  I get this sporadically.  It is put out by the same people as Cook's Illustrated.. I don't pay for this oneI guess Christopher Kimball is trying to entice me to subscribe.
What I like about it:  Just a handful of basic, easy to follow recipes and the many test kitchen results that have really helped me choose and prepare food with better results.
Why I probably don't need it:  I don't miss it if I don't get it and I don't need another cooking magazine.

COOKS ILLUSTRATED:  I consciously subscribe to this and pass the issues on to my local daughters.
What I like about it:  Everything.  They do the best reviews of products, most helpful hints and dummy proof recipes.  It only comes every two months, so I find myself looking forward to it and I usually devour it before I open the  rest of the mail.
Why I probably don't need it:  NA - I need it.

the NEW YORKER:  This is Joe's baby.  We've been getting it for  more yeas than I can remember.  I take them after he's done with them.  Sometimes they pile up and we wind up taking a suitcase full when we go on vacation. 
What I like about it:  Okay, I admit it, the cartoons.  I also like the fiction and the financial page.  My favorite issues are the all fiction one and the food one. 
Why I probably don't need it:  By the time I get to it, all the timely topics are old hat and we've seen the movies (or else they're not showing any more).  I hate the poetry and wonder how some of it gets published.  If it didn't come in the mail, I could read it in the library. This one is not my call.

POETS AND WRITERS:  I subscribed to this at the suggestion of someone in one of my writing workshops.
What I like about it:  It only comes every two months and it has a lot of calls for submissions to contests and announcements of writers workshops and retreats that look interesting.
Why I probably don't need it: Its target audience is authentic (published) writers.  The articles are too long and analytical. The contests and calls for submissions are for much more serious subject matter than I care to produce.  I am not renewing it.

The WRITER:   I started looking at this in Border's at the advice of my writing teacher.  Then Border's took the benches and chairs out of the store - so I'd have to read it standing up.  I decided to subscribe.
What I like about it:  It is truly geared to aspiring writers who need advice and helpful hints.  The articles are short and to  the point.  They have good writing exercises in them.  They also have calls for submissions and contests, but more geared to the kind of writing I enjoy - personal essays.  I will give it one more try, although true to my nature, by the time I look at the contests, et al - the deadlines have passed.  Oh well.

That's another story for another time - when I get around to it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - Borders took the benches out - must be accumulating too many bums! I love living three doors down from the library....I go once a week and catch up on all mags. Runners World is the only Mag and again it is "Eric's baby". Life revolves around the arrival of RW!!! HA HA.

    ReplyDelete