Sunday, April 11, 2010

Its Good to Look Up.

As I ran around this planet, living my life, my eyes were focused either straight ahead, looking to the left and right for traffic, or looking down to avoid tripping over things with my two left feet. Now that the pace is more leisurely, I'm discovering all the things I've missed by not looking up. Especially in Chicago, with our wonderful architecture, there is a richness above our heads that doesn't get appreciated as it should. This picture is of the beautiful rotunda in the Chicago Cultural Center. There are several in the building and, especially on a sunny day, they can lead you into a fantasy world full of light and color.

Looking up at the Tribune building makes me dizzy, but the architectural details must have made the men who built it even dizzier trying to get it right. I wonder who tends to the flag on the tippy top, someone brave, no doubt.



Walking west on Pearson I looked up at the Quigley Seminary building and juxtaposed with the old Gothic touches is a glass skyscraper in the background where the crucifix is - apparently mixing types of architecture has God's blessing.


Walking up Michigan Avenue I look up at the sign that declares Allerton Hotel - the Tip Top Tap. It hasn't been the Allerton or the Tip Top Tap for many years, but who cares, it brings back fond memories. And the Allerton was where the Breakfast Club was recorded for radio many years ago - when my grandmother used to march me around the breakfast table, back in New Jersey.

If you get to North Bridge, where Nordstrom's is or the Bloomingdale's Home Store which used to be the Masonic Temple ( where my husband's two Masters degrees from De Paul were presented) - please look up - you'll be delighted.

I'm putting my photos of UP on Flickr and Face book - but I urge you to create your own mental "up album". I know you're all still in a hurry - do yourself a favor and take a few moments to look up in your home environment. There are clouds and bridges , trees and mountains and lots more - even if you don't live in a big city with great architecture. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I just recently discovered the rotunda in the Chicago Cultural Center, amazing. That whole building is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete