Friday, April 23, 2010

Chicago Raves

I do enough ranting for a small village. It's time for some raves- not in preferential order - just as they come to mind.

  • The VA medical system here in Chicago, both Lakeside and Westside. Great customer service, caring doctors and better patient follow up than I get at my high priced ,well known hospital.


  • Newberry Library. Not just for their adult education seminars, but also for their killer book sales - the big one in July and the mystery book sale in March.





  • 157 bus driver who promises a "stress free ride" on a home made sign - and she is so right. She waits until you sit down before lurching ahead. She greets everyone enthusiastically and answers questions, even stupid ones, politely and accurately. If she doesn't know the answer she admits it instead of making stuff up. She is sure you are safely off the bus and on your way before she takes off.


  • Jesse White's transformation of the Secretary of State's offices. It took me just 7 minutes to get my license renewed, even with a line. Our recent vehicle registration renewal questions were met with sincere, pleasant and well informed answers. Don't ever leave, Jesse, but if you do - go to another agency that needs fixing and do it again.


  • The Chicago Latino Film Festival. Travel the world and brush up on your Spanish from the comfort of a theater seat - 26 years strong. http://www.latinoculturalcenter.org/
    Great people with a passion for the arts.


  • The one man /one truck waste removal operation who collects our garbage daily. He must be the hardest working man in captivity (well, at least in the 42nd ward). He makes a tedious and seemingly unpleasant job appear as smooth and seamless as a well performed ballet.


  • The Grant Park Music Festival - still free, still superbly produced and what a setting - in Millennium Park. Treat yourself to attendance at a morning or afternoon rehearsal. You get to see and hear the real personality of the conductors ( Carlos Kalmar with a pony tail) and it is such fun to see the usually formal string section in flip flops and shorts. Bring a lunch and enjoy the music - stay for the docent commentary during the union mandated breaks in the action.


  • The bar at the Saloon Steakhouse. A real neighborhood gathering place with happy bartenders and great bar food. Some of the best sliders in town. While you're there, ask about their next wine or beer tasting dinner. Bargains to say the least with Wiley the beverage manager at the helm.



  • The Division Street Farmers' Market. My favorite "peach guy" who gives me his seconds for pies and such. He and his wife dressed in tux shirt and bridal veil for their 25th wedding anniversary that fell on a market Saturday. Joe's favorite Polish bakery goods, especially when the owner is there - she is so charming- reminds me of my grandmother. The "flower lady" who saves the Star Gazer lilies for me if I sleep late. If they would just ban dogs- it would be heavenly. Treat yourself to the Farmers' Market Special Breakfast at Butch McGuire's which is smack dab in the middle of the market. Looking forward to tomatoes that taste like tomatoes.


I guess I can go back to ranting for a couple of weeks now and then round it out with another list of raves. There's so much to love in this city!


3 comments:

  1. Lynn, it's Marvin Del Rios, I love to read yout blogs! You crack me up! I love the city, but my wife wants to move to the burbs cause of the kids! I love to jump on the "L" with my boys! they think it's a cheap roller coaster ride!

    Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear from you. Still in Banking? We moved to the city after the kids were all gone. I'll never move away.

    ReplyDelete