Monday, February 1, 2010

Take the 66 to Summer in January


Layered up and feeling like the little kid in The Christmas Story, I walked the four frigid blocks to the 66 bus and climbed aboard. There were only three of us on the bus. I pictured myself walking into a deserted Navy Pier,the end of the line. Who goes to the pier in 14 degree weather? Evidently, lots of folks do. The energy, as I pushed through the doors to the main lobby was palpable. Families and other groups filled the benches surrounding the silent stage just basking in the warmth and the light coming from the Crystal Garden. The carts that sell gee-gaws of every kind were surrounded by the curious and paying customers alike. Every restaurant and bar was filled to capacity although it was mid-afternoon. (What recession?) I couldn't help but notice most people were drinking beer, snacking on popcorn and finishing up with ice cream. Summer has returned.

The temporary tattoo artist and the guy who does caricatures both had lines. The entire length of Festival Hall was filled from stem to stern with Strictly Sail, a 4 day show of every kind of vessel from kayaks to luxury yachts. At the end of the pier the magnificent ballroom, overlooking the frozen lake and lone lighthouse was set for an elegant party - a 30 piece orchestra was prepping on the stage.I'm told its a mile out and a mile back on the pier - so I guess my two jaunts out and back were about 4 painless miles.I'll be back.

3 comments:

  1. Lynn - I think you have truly found your calling. You make me regret not going to Strictly Sail this year. Very vivid mind pictures; it truly feels like summer the way you tell the story! I've been thinking about blogging since seeing yours, and I'm awaiting my inspiration, which hasn't paid a visit yet. Larry Ambrose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah I think I've had enough Navy Pier for a lifetime. Glad it is doing well, who knew it could survive without city-provided fireworks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pier... I used to hang out there on days when I had nothing to do and lived just a few bldgs away. Wow, people were eating ice cream?! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete