Monday, February 22, 2010

A Garden in Winter


An errand took me to the Harold Washington Library today. I had not visited in a while. The 145 bus dropped me right at the back door - an interesting way to enter this building, full of twists and turns. The shining surfaces must be hard to keep gleaming, but they do it well. More than just a library, this is a gathering place, part museum - part learning center. My errand was completed quickly and with grace and efficiency by the librarian on the 6th floor. I was not in any hurry to go back out into the cold, damp gloom. I decided to treat myself to a self guided tour. While somewhat overwhelming, once I caught the rhythm of the progression from floor to floor I was amazed.

Private spaces in this nine story building abound. One floor had what seems like hundreds of computers set up for use by cardholders. There was a waiting list, and handily, a comfortable seating area with newspapers from all over the world to peruse while waiting.

Every floor has nooks and crannies with either tables or cubicles with wi-fi connections. There seemed to be people doing taxes, writing papers, preparing resumes and just enjoying reading. Others, sad to say, had picked a warm place to settle in (with possessions in tow) to avoid the cold. Everyone was respectful of each others' silence.

I ended my tour on the ninth floor in the magnificent Winter Garden. Another great escape from Chicago's winter. Somehow looking up through the glass roof made the snow seem more palatable. I'll be back and next time I'll stay and read a book in one of those great private spaces. Check it out yourself.

http://www.chipublib.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment