Sunday, May 16, 2010

Things I learned in Girl Scout Camp



"Make new friends....
but kee-eep the-ee o- oold...
One is silver.....
And the other gold"



Anyone who went to Girl Scout Camp learned to sing this in a "round" - how many of you know what a round is? How true, how true. I love my new friends - circa past 1990ish when I was 50 - but the old ones are truly gold.

I stay in touch with Diane and Pat and Jane and Pete and a few others from the 40s. Not a grammar school or high school secret we didn't share. We critiqued each others boyfriends, clothes, shoes, and rejoiced in each other's good times. Commiserated about family woes - big and small. At our 50th high school reunion we laughed and cried and wet our pants - just like in the 40s and 50s.


In the 5os and 60s it was Sue Mac and Sue S.. We were roommates. I dated their boyfriends' fraternity brothers until another classmate introduced me to my (future) husband and then we all became friends. I stood up for Sue S. at her wedding to Bill - sure I was going to hell as a Catholic participating in a Protestant wedding. Their marriage has lasted as long as ours - and although we've adhered to our vows to each other - the churches have vacillated in their beliefs. Mac now has awesome kids and grandchildren whom I don't "know" but could give you their bragging points.

This weekend we shared our 3rd annual "roommates weekend" and picked up where we left off in college. Now we worry about each others' health - not our sorority's codes of conduct - or having each others' backs for curfew in our orange blossom scented, no men allowed inside, housemother watching the making out in front of the dorm life where we cooked soup on our irons, taught each other how to use tampons during a fire drill = and watched Kitty Kelley - yes, that one - try to learn the newest dances in the halls with big rollers in her hair.


In the 70s it was my Chicago beach and River Forest friends. Only a few if them left, but so cherished, especially Marcia and Diana and Joe, Carolyn and Gerri. I think they are considered new. Same with my work friends - great teammates and supporters. Thanks, CarolAnn, Jackie, Susan, Glenda, from the bank, and Joan, Juan and Gladys, Carmen and Angelo, Marty, Fran, and Virginia, and Mila, from our business community - and those others who know who they are. I still have good contact with my earlier work friends, Jill, Jeanne, Phyllis and Karen. All partners in crime at one point or another. Lately, I connect with Martha, Joan, Bonnie and Dan.


I have made a concerted effort to reach out to those who have meant the most to me. This week it is my University of Arizona friends who have entertained us, hugged us, and fed us. We have enjoyed each others' company and shared secrets (once again). One of them had a medical scare ( she is fine) AND it made us all assess our treasures - which surely include old friends.
Silver and Gold. CHERISH.

2 comments:

  1. What a great soliloquy on friendship, and how true! I'm glad we reconnected--although I had no idea that you had actually participated in a Protestant wedding. I was appalled when I read that. Scandalized. The next thing you know, they're going to have the Mass in English. Oh, wait...
    Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU are a good friend Lynn. You inspire others and the pleasure of hearing about the 'old' via your blog is GREAT! I got into trouble with the Girls Scouts, we were not all quite so ...*balanced;~)
    My best to ALL the gals in AZ, and to Marcia in Chitown, too!

    ReplyDelete