Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Winter Doldrums

Don't give in to the winter weather and stay hunkered down in your warm home. I tried it and it isn't healthy. Since we returned from a visit to Tucson on December 16th we have had only about 21 hours of sunshine. Day after day of fog and gloom drove me to actually complete the NY Times crossword puzzle on the day that I start it - my ongoing battle with Will Shortz' mind an all-consuming and frustrating daily exercise. I also spent inordinate amounts of time on FaceBook and surfing the web - talk about throwing precious time right down the toilet - that does it. I am proud to say I read a few good books. May I recommend Robert W. Walker's City for Ransom and Shadows in the White City. I may have been exercising my mind, but parts of my body were starting to atrophy. In addition, my jeans were getting harder to button.


Then I remembered where I live - in a wonderful city with lots of interesting places to go. So armed with my magical "old people ride free"Blago pass, I headed out into the gloom to escape hibernation. I jumped on the 151 and got off at the Lincoln Park Conservatory. I was not the only one seeking escape. The place was abuzz with locals, tourists and cheery volunteers. On various benches under trees and in alcoves people were reading, texting, gazing or napping. After my glasses de-fogged I wandered through the palms and ferns and tropical flowers that live off the micro particles in the air - they grow on other plants, but are not parasites. Although in the orchid family they are very different from my mental image of an orchid. I actually read about the carnivorous plants encased in glass on my way to the exit, where the fragrance of Jasmine filled the air. The Spring Flower Show starts on January 30th. I'll be back.


Enveloped in the earthy smelling warmth I decided to brave the cold. Instead of getting back on the bus I meandered through the zoo and made a few visits to keep me in the tropical mood. The seabirds in the penquin house cavorted in their manufactured beachside habitat and made me think of Oak Street or Rocky Point Island in Florida. Two students took meticulous notes as they observed the birds. Let's see "....red beaked seagull picks fight with grey tern....scratches and dives in the water....." and so on. Oh well - to each his own. As a bonus, I got to see the penguins being fed ever so lovingly by their keeper.


On to our fabulous flock of flamingoes (try saying that fast 3 times). To my surprise they were outside, preening their deep salmon feathers - a contrast to the fog and snow on the ground. Drat , I forgot my camera. They are beautiful and well trained. Their keeper came out of the glass habitat and walked to the edge of the pond wordlessly. One by one they turned, and in double file, marched, really marched, back into the habitat followed by their still silent keeper. Amazing.


There was no sign of the 4 legged creatures outdoors and I chose not to visit and be an enabler in their hiding from the weather. Besides, the lion house really smells with the heat on. I couldn't leave without checking the progress of the lagoon re-construction (they'd better hurry - there are way too many ducks in the swan pond). No visit is complete without a visit to the Farm in the Zoo. It was pretty empty of both animals and visitors - typical for winter. My favorites are the momma sow and her little piggies. None were there. Boo-hoo. By now I had walked around for about 50 minutes and felt energized. I headed back to the bus stop and grabbed the 151 again. This time I got off at Ohio and walked to Trader Joe's. That always makes me feel good. Everyone in there is happy - the employees and the shoppers - and the tropical shirts fit my theme for the day. Heading back home on the 157 I started planning my adventure for the next day, a big decision. I'll remember to bring my camera.


P.S. I needn't have worried about no piggies at the zoo. There were plenty on the bus.

1 comment:

  1. I read this one four times... LPZ is a truely magical place; thank you for the virtual visit.

    Have you made it to the flower show yet?

    ReplyDelete