Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Real Live OMG Moment in Streeterville

Last summer I followed the activities of Sid the Streeterville Spider and his friends from late July until late October, when the window washers ended their residency on our windows.  This year I have been lamenting the absence of spiders, even though our neighbors have had their fair share.  In the back of my mind I was picturing Sid or Sally or even Saul organizing a boycott because of my unauthorized use of their names and activities in my blog.  Don't laugh - these guys are real to me.

I wrote it off as bad karma and went on with life. Saturday, September 10th, I reluctantly joined Joe in watching the ND vs Michigan game.  I would root for the Hell's Angels  if they played Notre Dame - so my reluctant participation was joyously rewarded by their loss to Michigan in the last two seconds.  Life is good.

Saturday, September 11, I sat on our deck in the sun looking at the eerily empty lake just as I had 10 years prior when only the Coast Guard boats were out.  Helicopters buzzed in and out of my sight line and disturbed the wonderfully silent landscape.  I was determined to avoid all media coverage of the endless 9/11 tributes all over the country. I buried my head in my book and stayed outside until the sun left the deck to hide behind the Hancock.

When I came back inside the Bears game was in full swing.  The Bears football pool I have been in for years - that started at Ferndell's bar during my working years at North and Pulaski- is now defunct.  Ferndell's was razed a few years ago to make way for the new bank building, but the organizers of the pool were able to keep it alive through phone contacts.  Now enough people have died or moved so that they couldn't get enough players for a real pool or even strip cards.  The pool had been my only reason to keep track of the Bears.  I am a supporter of all Chicago teams and a sometimes lone supporter of Lovie Smith and his understated style.  I was happy to see them win, even though I don't have any skin in the game this year.

At some point during the game I glanced out the window at the ever annoying helicopter and I almost jumped out of my seat.  If you were there you could have seen the OMG in a bubble over my head.
There on the window looking in at the game was Sid.  I knew he was a football fan, but this was too unreal for words.  "Nobody's going to believe this!" I shouted.  Since Joe doesn't read my blog, he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I had to give him a blow by blow.  He thinks I'm nuts, as many of you probably do - but this is the ultimate OMG moment and a bright spot for me on a very somber day.  I had to grab my camera as proof.  Sid is back in Streeterville. Oh yeah. 

In case you missed the Sid The Streeterville Saga, here are the links.

http://lynncrawfordsays.blogspot.com/2010/07/survivor-sid-streeterville-spider.html

http://lynncrawfordsays.blogspot.com/2010/08/sid-streeterville-spider-saga-continues.html

http://lynncrawfordsays.blogspot.com/2010/10/sid-streeterville-spider-final-chapter.html

No comments:

Post a Comment